Map of BAS campus (conference venue and places for lunch) is available : first map and second map.
25 June 2014, 18:30 - 22:30
The excursion is on Thursday from 10:00 until the evening. (as indicated on the preliminary program).
If possible we may leave earlier. Lunch is included. The excursion on 26 June 2014 includes visits to old roman fortress and a resort in Rila mountain.
The following four places will be visited:
1. Belchin village, Cari-mali-grad, church “St. Petka” and ethnographic museum;
2. The city of Samokov, with lunch in restaurant “Madarova kashta”;
3. Borovets resort in the Rila mountain. There two options are offered : a) visit to “Tsarska Bistritsa” or b) hiking tour in Rila mountain:
Yastrebets peak is 2369 м high and is above Borovetz -one of the 3 biggest ski resorts in Bulgraita. Borovetz is in Rila Mountain, where the highest peak of Bulgaria and the whole Balkan Peninsula - Musala is situated. It is 2925 m high. There is a beautiful view from the top in all directions in clear weather.
There is a gondola lift taking tourists from Borovetz to Yastrebetz peak. It takes approximately 30 min (in one direction) from Borovetz to Yastrebetz. The last gondola starts at 16.40. The gondola lift ticket is 6 euro (both ways). The ones who want to take this option should keep in mind that the weather is variable in the mountain and one needs appropriate hiking boots and wind- and water-proof jacket.
Musala is clearly seen from Yastrebetz peak, however, Musala is about two hours hiking from the gondola lift (in one direction) and one needs to start early in the morning to go there and get back in time for the last gondola.
4. Lake “Iskar” with two stops: a) “Shtarkelovo gnezdo” for a sightseeing break ; b) Fish bar “Stenata” for a snack.
Information about the places can be found on the websites:
- Belchin village, Cari-mali-grad:
- Samokov, lunch in “Madarova kashta”:
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Borovets: a) The royal hunting lodge “Tsarska Bistritsa”:
- Lake “Iskar” on the Iskar river:
In addition, Sofia is a city with a vibrant cultural life with variety of performances and exhibitions taking place at all times. The conference organisers will provide information about events that can be attended during the conference. Participants can also make their own arrangements and bookings.